Investigators – Sheila Cannon, Barbara Smith-Johnson, Pamela Clark Ngangana, Darylnet Lyttle, Patrena Cody, Linda Brown, Michael Jones
Project dates – 2002-2020
Location – Hampton University School of Nursing, Hampton, Virginia
Conceptual Model – Neuman Systems Model
A series of seven (7) dissertations conducted by PhD students at Hampton University
Shelia Cannon – Dissertation and Related Publications
- Caregiving of African-American Daughters with Aging Parents: Applying Neuman’s Systems Model (2002) •
- Jones-Cannon, S., & Davis, B. L. (2005). Coping among African-American daughters caring for aging parents. The Association of Black Nursing Faculty Journal, 16(6), 118-123.
- Cannon, S., & Fawcett, J. (2018). Correlates of psychological and physical health outcomes among African American caregiving daughters. The Association of Black Nursing Faculty Journal, 29(3), 86-97.
Barbara A. Smith-Johnson :Dissertation and Related Publication
- Perceived Stress of African American Family Caregivers of Stroke Survivors (2013)
- Smith-Johnson, B., Davis, B. L., Burns, D., Montgomery, A. J., & McGee, Z. T. (2015). African American wives and perceived stressful experiences: Providing care for stroke survivor spouses. The Association of Black Nursing Faculty Journal, 26(2), 39–42.
Pamela Clarke Ngangana: Dissertation and Related Publication
- Intra-family Stressors among Adult Siblings Sharing Caregiving for Parents (2014)
- Ngangana, P. C., Davis, B. L., Burns, D. P., McGee, Z. T., & Montgomery, A. J. (2016). Intra-family stressors among adult siblings sharing caregiving for parents. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72(12), 3169–3181.
Darylnet Lyttle: Dissertation and Related Publication
- The Identification of HIV-Risk Behaviors Among Minority College Students using the Neuman’s Systems Model (2014)
- Lyttle, D., Montgomery, A. J., Davis, B. L., Burns, D., McGee, Z. T., & Fogel, J. (2018). An exploration using the Neuman Systems Model of risky sexual behaviors among African American college students: A brief report. Journal of Cultural Diversity, 25(4), 142–147.
Patrena Cody: Dissertation
- Caregiver Burdens of Family Members with Alzheimer’s Disease (2019)
Linda Brown: Dissertation
- Perceived Stressors among Older African American Primary Family Caregivers: Caring for a Relative with Alzheimer’s Dementia (2019)
Michael Jones: Dissertation
- Perceptions of Rural Community-Based Nurses and Perceived Stigma Related to HIV/AIDS: A Mixed-Methods Study (2020)
Summary of Topics
- Caregivers of Older Adult Parents (2)
- Caregivers of Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease (2)
- Caregivers of Stroke Survivors (1)
- Sigma of Caring for Persons with HIV/AIDS (1)
- HIV Risk Behaviors (1)
Summary of Populations
- Family Member as Caregiver (2)
- Daughters as Caregivers (1)
- Adult Sibling Caregivers (1)
- Spouses as Caregivers (1)
- Nurses (1)
- Minority College Students (1)
Dr. Fawcett’s presentation
Download Dr. Fawcett’s presentation, which shows diagrams of the application of the Neuman Systems Model for each of the dissertations