Contributed by Peggy Chinn
July 6, 2019
Author – Marlaine Smith, RN, PhD, AHN-BC, FAAN
Year Published – October 1, 2019
Major Concepts –
- Presents 25 major theories written by the original theorists or eminent scholars to help students understand the interrelationship between nursing theories and nursing practice.
- Covers the middle range theories and practice models that define the best outcomes and links theory to clinical practice.
- Addresses how to implement theory-based practice.
- Explores the historical and contemporary theories that are the foundation of nursing practice today.
- Features in-depth coverage of the development of the theories that guide nursing practice.
- New Chapter! Adeline Falk-Rafael’s Theory of Critical Caring which addresses post-modern emancipatory theories
- New Chapter! Katie Eriksson’s Theory of Caritative Caring
The only nursing research and theory book with primary works by the original theorists! Noted nursing scholars explore the historical and contemporary theories that are the foundation of nursing practice today. The 5th Edition, continues to meet the needs of today’s students with an expanded focus on the middle range theories and practice models that link theory to clinical practice. You’ll explore the role of these theories in the real-world to see how they guide nursing practice.
Smith, M. C., (2020). Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice (5th ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
Smith, M. C., & Parker, M. E. (2015). Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
Parker, M. E., & Smith, M. C. (2010). Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice (3rd Edition.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
Dr. Smith was Dean at Florida Atlantic University’s Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing from 2011-2019. She continues as the Helen K. Persson Eminent Scholar. Her contributions to nursing can be clustered in two areas: developing knowledge related to processes and outcomes of healing, specifically touch therapies, and analyzing, extending and applying nursing theories. Besides this text, she has co-edited two others: Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice and Caring Classics in Nursing. Dr. Smith is passionate about developing the discipline of nursing, unitary and caring sciences, and creating a health care system that is equitable, just, humanistic and relationship-centered.