On September 23, 2021, Nursology.net and the Center for Nursing Philosophy sponsored a powerful panel presentation focused on the topic “Decolonizing Nursing.” Seven nurse scholars of color shared their perspectives and their current work to bring the perspectives of people of color to the center, to empower anti-racist thought and action, and to activate real social justice in nursing and healthcare. The panel was moderated by Miriam Bender, PhD, RN, Director of the Center for Nursing Philosophy at the University of California Irvine. Peggy Chinn and Marlaine Smith from the Nursology.net management team provided technical support for the event. We are delighted to share the recording of the event below!
The Panelists were:
- Lisa Bourque Bearskin, RN, PhD, Thompson Rivers University (BC)
- Lucinda Canty, RN, PhD, University of St. Joseph (CT)
- Barbara Hatcher, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN, Hatcher-DuBois-Odrick Group, LLC
- Lucy Mkandawire-Valhmu, PhD, RN, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Daniel Suárez-Baquero, PhD, MSN, BSN, University of California San Francisco
- Bukola Salami, RN, MN, PhD, University of Alberta
- Jennifer Woo, PhD, CNM, WHNP, FACNM, Texas Woman’s University
The time ran short for addressing questions posted in the Q&A for the webinar, but we have shared the questions with the panelists, and future blog posts here will feature panelist responses to these questions!
Spontaneous feedback was posted in the “chat” throughout the panel discussion – all expressing deep appreciation to each of the panelists for their riveting presentations. Toward the end of the webinar, additional comments reflect the whole of the experience for those attending:
- Such an amazing discussion!
- Raising my hands to all of you.
- Thank you! Love from the Philippines!
- Thank you all so much for such a fruitful presentation.
- What a wealth of knowledge and sharing, SO grateful
- WOW! I can’t wait to share this with my faculty team
- Can we have a part 2? This has been emotional and insightful and empowering. Thank you to each speaker and organizers and hosts
- This panel was so energizing and inspiring! Thank you all!!
- Thank you to the speakers for opening hearts and minds
- Thank you for the eloquence with which you shared!!!!
- Thank you for such an inspiring event. I am hopeful for the future of nursing