See also “Online Nursing Theory Courses“
See also “Examples of Teaching/Learning Strategies“
Return to main “Foundations of Nursology” Course
A focus on learning activities rather than specific approaches to evaluation is recommended. However, some approaches to evaluation are given here:
- Objective Examinations or Quizzes throughout the course
- Discussion and Reflections throughout the course
- Make clear the expectations related to each learning activity, including accurate links or citations to material used in developing the assignment.
- Where traditional citations are required, Use precisely correct citation and reference (for example, current American Psychological Association or AMA guidelines)
- Reports on interviews with established nurse scholars
- Evaluation of Nursing Theory/Model
- Theory-driven Tool Analysis and Application
- Select an existing practice tool (such as an assessment format or intervention protocol or practice guidelines) that was derived from a nursological conceptual model or theory OR derive a new practice tool from a nursological conceptual model or theory. The learner may use an existing research instrument as the practice tool if the instrument is appropriate for use in practice situations.
- Discuss the linkage between the practice tool and the nursological conceptual model or theory from which it was derived.
- Identify the concept or concepts of the nursological conceptual model or theory that are measured by the practice tool.
- Describe the content and format of the tool.
- Identify any published descriptions of the tool and any applications in practice.
- Apply the tool in practice with one individual or family or other group.
- Identify and describe the ethical considerations of the tool (e.g., is this tool inclusive, who benefits from use of this tool and who does not?)
- Describe the health issue/condition of interest affecting the individual, family, community or system.
- Describe the healthcare setting in which the tool was applied.
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of the tool. If disadvantages were identified, describe or propose ways to improve the tool from a nursology lens
- Explain how the tool helped the individual, family, or other group better understand her/his/their health condition.
- Identify any barriers encountered when the tool was applied.
- Explain how barriers were overcome.
- Discuss strategies that could be used to integrate the tool into practice as a nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist.
- The tool analysis or application may be shared with other learners as a podium or poster presentation using PowerPoint or other software for content
- Use precisely correct citation and reference (for example, current American Psychological Association)
- Written assignments such as a Term Paper
- Example of a term paper: The purpose of the term paper is to provide an opportunity for learners to identify an existing nursological conceptual model or theory-based practice tool or develop a new nursological conceptual model or theory-based practice tool and gain experience applying the tool in nursology practice, quality improvement, or research.
- The term paper assignment may be completed by individual learners or by groups of two to four learners. Suggestions for papers prepared by groups of learners are listed here:
- Structure groups so that each learner in a group takes on a specific role for the group, and the group report includes a report or evidence of what each learner contributed to the group. Depending on the nature of the project, an outlines of individual roles and responsibilities may be developed for each group, and the “assignment” specific to that role as part of the group project. Other times one of the expectations for the group is to divide the tasks and assign individuals in the group to certain tasks and then each learner’s part is evident in the final group “report” or presentation.
- The term paper could include content from the relevant literature as well as from interviews with nursologists who have developed and/or applied the conceptual model or theory.
- Use precisely correct citation and reference (for example, current American Psychological Association).
- The term paper may be shared with all learners in the class as a podium or poster presentation using PowerPoint or other software for content
- Opportunities for theory driven training and conferences
- Other learning activities