Once upon a time, I had a faculty colleague who had a wonderful sense of humor. She
could even inject humor into the statistics and research methods courses she taught. Unfortunately, I did not have anything close to her sense of humor. However, she assured me that it was very difficult to find humor in meta-theory, which is what I taught (and still teach), alas without any humor included.
Imagine my surprise when Peggy Chinn sent me an internet posting by Jan Friesen and Skander Elleuche, who “developed a method that provides a simple, flexible framework to translate a complex scientific publication into a broadly accessible comic format” (italics in the original).
In an attempt to finally inject some humor into nursology, I started thinking of how comic characters could be transformed into nursologist avatars. I selected comic characters I knew from my childhood and, more recently, from the exhibits in Fawcett’s Art, Antiques, and Toy Museum, a small art gallery, shop, and toy museum that I co-own with my artist husband, John Fawcett. He is the creative one; I keep track of the finances.
My ideas for avatars for nursologists are:
- Wonder nursologist (aka Wonder woman), whose special wrist cuffs
deflect all negative concerns about theory
- Super nursologist (aka Superman), who leaps over complex philosophical, conceptual, theoretical, and methodological ideas with a single keystroke
- Star nursologist (aka Star Trek), who goes where other nursologists are not yet ready to go
- Fantastic nursologist (aka from
Disney’s Fantasia movie) who converts theoretical knowledge to practice protocols.
- Mighty nursologist (aka Mighty Mouse), who establishes nurse corporations that contract with clinical agencies to provide nursological qua nursological services to participants in practice (nurse corporations are Grayce Sills’ idea, nursing qua nursing is Jean Watson’s idea)
- Terminator nursology (aka The Terminator), who eliminates all negative thoughts about conceptual models and theories
- Spider nursologist (aka Spiderman), who climbs to the heights of nursology
- Yoda nursologist (aka Yoda from Star Wars), whose light saber illuminates all that is nursology.
I invite readers of this blog to contribute their ideas for comic character avatars for nursologists!
One thought on “Nursologists and Their Comic Character Avatars”
I love this and plan to share tis with my students and colleagues. Thanks, Jaqui for developing them. And thanks to John as well!