The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Nursing is proud to formally launch the Dr. Margaret A. Newman Center for Nursing Theory with an Inaugural Dedication and Dialogue event. The two-day event will begin at 12:00 PM on May 30th with a luncheon followed by a ribbon-cutting ceremony and dedication of the center. The dialogue on Health as Expanding Consciousness (HEC) theory will begin at 2:00 PM and continued on May 31 from 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM. In the spirit of a true dialogue, participation will be limited to 35 attendees to allow for ongoing reflective exchange of ideas and viewpoints regarding HEC theory. Register here
There are plans to post podcasts of the dialogue soon after the event.
Parking will be available at the H Lot Plaza Garage. The Plaza Parking Garage is located at 910 Madison Ave. Memphis, TN 38103. Parking fee is $5.00/day. UTHSC Campus Parking Map that shows the H-Lot Plaza Garage, and the College of Nursing Crowe Building (event location) is available here.
Hotel Information: There is no specific hotel associated with this event. Listed below are several hotels located nearby the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. Call for current rates.
- River Inn at Harbor Town, 50 Harbor Town Square, Memphis, TN 38103. Phone: 901.260.3333
- The Peabody, 149 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN, 38103. Phone: 901.529.4000
- Fogelman Executive Center, 330 Deloach Street, Memphis, TN, 38152. Phone: 901.678.5410
- Four Points by Sheraton, 5877 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN, 38119. Phone: 901.767.6300
- Hampton Inn, 175 Peabody Avenue, Memphis, TN, 38103. Phone: 901.260.4000
- Holiday Inn Select, 3700 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN, 38103. Phone: 901.525.5491
- Holiday Inn, 3700 Central Avenue, Memphis, TN, 38013. Phone: 901.678.8200
The Memphis International Airport is located at 2491 Winchester Road, Memphis, TN 38116. It is located approximately 9 miles from the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Campus.
For more information on rental cars, shuttles, and taxis, go to https://flymemphis.com/
Day 1: May 30
- Welcome Luncheon (12:00 PM – 1:00 PM)
- Inaugural Dedication and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony (1:00 PM-2:00 PM)
- 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Update on Newman Center for Nursing Theory & Experiencing the Dialogue
- 3:00 PM – 3:15 PM
- 3:15 PM – 5:00 PM
- Dialogue-Reflections on HEC through Newman’s Lens: A Discipline for Today
- 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
- Informal Gathering: Refreshments & Entertainment
Day 2: May 31
- Light Breakfast 8:00 AM – 8:30 AM
- 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM – Dialogue-Reflections on HEC through Newman’s Lens: A Discipline for the Future
- 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM – Break and Chair Yoga
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM – View Select Newman Archive Collection and Poster Presentations
- 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch (provided)
- 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM – Dialogue-Advancing the Legacy of Margaret Newman: Recognizing the Patterns
- 3:30 PM – 4:00 PM – Celebratory Closing and Reflection on the Meaning