Editor – Marlaine Smith, RN, PhD, AHN-BC, FAAN
Year Published – 2020
- Offers in-depth coverage of the development of the theories that guide nursing practice.
- Features chapters written by the original theorists, scholars, and nurses experienced in use of the theory in their practice.
Presents 25 major theories, including…
- Meleis’s Transition Theory
- Troutman-Jordan’s Theory of Successful Aging
- Barrett’s Theory of Power as Knowing Participation in Change
- Caring Theories by Madeleine M. Leininger, Jean Watson, Anne Boykin and Savina O. Schoenhofer.
- Critical Caring Theory, Adeline Falk Rafael
- Emphasizes the relevance of theory to practice with additional content online focused on the application of theory to research.
- Addresses how to implement theory-based practice.
- Includes a list of references for each theory in the book, complemented by comprehensive lists online.
The only nursing research and theory book with primary works by the original theorists! Noted nursing scholars explore the historical and contemporary theories that are the foundation of nursing practice today. The 4th Edition of this popular book meets the needs of today’s students with an expanded focus on the middle range theories and practice models that link theory to clinical practice. You’ll explore their role in the real-world and learn how they are used to research and test the interventions with the best outcomes.
Smith, M.C. & Gullett, D.L. Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice (5th Ed.), F.A. Davis
Smith, M. C., & Parker, M. E. (2015). Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice (4th ed.). F.A. Davis.
Parker, M. E., & Smith, M. C. (2010). Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice (3rd Edition.). F.A. Davis.
Dr. Smith has been Dean and Helen K. Persson Eminent Scholar at Florida Atlantic University’s Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing since 2011. Her contributions to nursing can be clustered in two areas: developing knowledge related to processes and outcomes of healing, specifically touch therapies, and analyzing, extending and applying nursing theories. Besides this text, she has co-edited two others: Nursing Theories and Nursing Practice and Caring Classics in Nursing. Dr. Smith is passionate about developing the discipline of nursing, unitary and caring sciences, and creating a health care system that is equitable, just, humanistic and relationship-centered.